My Twitter Account:

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Carrie Fisher's Humor, Star Wars

One of the funniest stand-up performances I've seen in a long time: Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher. Yes, Princess Leia is funny! You thought she was just a manic depressive bipolar crazy person, but she's also hilarious. She says these eccentric yet profound words:

“If my life wasn't funny it would just be true, and that is unacceptable.”

Hilarity and yet, words with great gravitas. Carrie begins her act with a song (beautiful voice by the way) and then she gracefully stumbles into a schpiel about the death of her friend, and then into an autobiography and the marital scandals of her mother, father, and herself. She leaves no stone unturned as she goes on to detail her experience on the making of Star Wars, how George Lucas ruined her life, because "he owns my likeness...everytime I look in the mirror I have to send him a couple of bucks." But what makes Carrie's act most compelling is its brutal self-honesty, somehow keeping everything light and amusing. How do you start an act with the death of your friend and get people laughing? That is the genius of Mrs. Skywalker-Solo. Anyone who's followed Fisher's career even a tiny bit can see that she's been through a lot. Her ability to transform the tragedies of her life into humor is absolutely epic. Humor shows us how strong we are. No matter how crazy things get, we can always crack a joke at ourselves or the situation--we can detach from taking life too seriously. I find highly useful to laugh at life, and myself. Sometimes I get into moments of despair, and it is at those times that life gets so intense, that I see it is life's way of giving me the clue and cue to laugh. I try not to do that in front of people--however, that may change... Has anyone heard anything new about Star Wars VII by the way? Every fan should know Carrie's going to be reprising her role as Leia, but anything else? Lemme check it out... Okay I'm back. I found nothing new, except that the new Star Wars film is slated to drop in 2015--but you already knew that. Okay let's see, how to make it up to 500 words? I just might have to fall short this time. Excelsior, G.A.B.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment